Visa application for new incoming exchange student


Application of China Visa:

International students are required to apply for a China Visa at the China Embassy or Consulate in your own countries. The application requires the following documents: your valid passport, admission notice (the original copy) and JW202 Form (Visa application form for international students).

* Please do not misuse student visa on other purpose such as travelling.



Qualified Student Visa types:


1) X2 Visa

 If you exchange at Fudan for one semester, you’ll get X2 visa with ONLY one entry valid for upto 180 days after you enter mainland China. 

Please don’t plan to go outside mainland China, even not to Hongkong, Macao or Taiwan, because your X2 visa will expire after you exit mainland China. Usually X2 visa can’t be added more entries.



2) X1 Visa

If you exchange at Fudan for one year, you’ll get X1 visa with one entry valid for 30 days.

X1 visa is only valid for 30 days after you enter mainland China. Students with X1 visa must apply for a “Residence Permit” within 30 days after entry. With Residence Permit, students will have multi-entries in and out of mainland China.


Before picking up the passport and China Visa from Chinese Embassy or Consulate, please ensure that they return your admission notice and JW202 form to you. These are important documents you need to submit to the Exit-Entry Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau if you apply for your residence permit after you enter China.

Residence Permit valid for 180/360 days ect.

You can only apply for the Residence Permit after you have completed the University Admission Procedures. Hence, we advise students not to enter China much earlier than scheduled registration date; otherwise you will stay illegally when your X1 visa is expired before you get Residence Permit.

In order to get Residence Permit, you will have to finish physical examination first

Those students who have done the physical examination outside China must have the physical examination report verified at the International Travel Healthcare Center, Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau. You will be issued a verification form by the center if your documents are verified successfully. Those who do not pass the verification must go through further examinations or redo the whole examination process. The Healthcare Center will then issue a verification report to these successful applicants. According to our experiences, most of physical examination report done in home countries can not be fully verified. Hence, we strongly advise the students to do physical examination in Shanghai.

Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, International Travel Healthcare Center Address: No.15, Jinbang Rd, Changning District, Shanghai

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00am – 3:30pm

Appointment Hotline: 86-21-6268-8851; Complaint Hotline: 86-21-6268-7348

Reservation website:

The Healthcare Center will come to Fudan to process the physical examination on certain days. ( Schedules will be announced by the International Students Office at

Please prepare the following materials for the Physical Examination or Verification:

(1) Admission Notice

(2) Original and photocopies of your passport

(3) 4 passport-size photos (2-inch)

(4) The whole set of Physical Examination Record (Originals) if you have done your physical examination outside China for verification

(5) Cost of Physical Examination: Around 600 RMB. Cost of verification: 80 - 400 RMB depending on which supplemental examinations you have to go through.

*People with the following illnesses or contagious diseases will be refused of entry by the Chinese government. If you do have these illnesses, please abort your overseas study plans:

1AIDS   2STDs  3Leprosy   4Mental Disorders   5Pulmonary Tuberculosis

Apply for the Residence Permit after you have completed the University Admission Procedures and physical examination. Please prepare the following documents:

(1) Your Passport

(2) Admission Notice

(3) JW202 Visa Application Form

(4) Health Certificate (issued after you passed the physical examination

(5) International Students Visa Application LetterIssued by ISO at Fudan);

(6) 1 passport-size photos (2-inch)

(7) Residence Permit Application Fee (400 RMB for validation period within one year)

(8) A copy of the Accommodation Registration Form

Exit-Entry Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau will receive your application for visa and residence permit. Its address is 1500 Min Sheng Road, Pudong District, Shanghai (Near Metro Line 2 Shanghai Science Museum Stop)

Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday      9:00-11:30  13:30-16:30

Contact Number: 86-21-2895-1900     


The Bureau will come to Fudan to process the Residence Permit on certain days. (Schedules will be announced by the International Students Office at